Monday, December 3, 2012

Homemade Kettle Corn Recipe




Every time I go to the state fair I always have to get myself a big bag of kettle corn, trying to ignore the fact that I'm paying $6 for about 10 cents of popcorn. The other night I got a craving for some good ole kettle corn and I figure, why not just make some at home? Better yet, it's practically free. 




Now, I don't have a fancy, big, black kettle like they use at the fair, but I do have a saucepan! All it takes is 4 ingredients – that's it! While I don't use exact measurements, you can measure just by the pan you're using. For instance, if you're making popcorn for a whole family – use your big saucepan. I used a medium saucepan, which was plenty for my husband and I. 

Ingredients:

Uncooked popcorn kernels
Vegetable oil
White cane sugar
Salt

Directions

1. Put one kernel of popcorn in your pan, then pour enough oil in the pan so the kernel is halfway covered. Do not use more or your popcorn will be oily. 
2. Heat your burner to medium (about a 5 or 6 on electric), with the lid closed (hot oil = not safe!) Once the kernel pops, a minute or two later, you'll know the oil is hot enough to pour the rest in. 
3. Pour popcorn in your pan so there is just one layer of kernels covering the bottom – immediately after, shake your desired amount of sugar into the pan with the kernels and oil (for medium saucepan I used about 1/3 cup)
4. It is important to continuously shake the pan back and forth, while on the burner, with the lid on. This is so the oil and sugar is distributed among the kernels, but most importantly so the sugar doesn't burn the popcorn! 
5. You'll know the batch is done cooking when the popping slows and your pan is full
6. Pour your popcorn into a large bowl and salt it to taste preference (do not pour directly from the salt bottle), then shake or stir in bowl

…before you know it – you will have a delicious bowl of homemade kettle corn! It only takes about 5 minutes and is WAY better than microwave popcorn! Let me know if you like it - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments appreciated!